(1794 - 1836)
Portrait of Matilda, Winner of the St. Leger, 1827
Oil on canvas
24 x 30 inches
Signed and dated 1827
Mr. H. Arthurton, 1934
Tate Gallery, Millbank, The Arthurton Collection, 1934, No. 26.
Whitechaple Gallery, Exhibition of Cricket and Sporting Pictures, January 25 - March 22, 1935, No. 120.
Matilda was owned and trained by The Honorable Edward Petre. Sired by Comus her Dam Juliana by Gohanna out of Platina by Mercury.
- August: Sweepstakes 20 Sovs. for 2 year olds, York, Placed 5th.
- August: 100 Sovs. Sweepstakes for 2 year olds, Placed 1st, Jockey Mr. Templeman.
- September: 20 Sovs. Sweepstakes for 2 year olds, Doncaster, Placed 1st, Jockey Mr. Johnson, Odds 4-1 against.
- June: The Great St. Leger Stakes of Twenty Five Guineas, Doncaster, Placed 1st, Jockey Mr. Jem Robinson, Odds 9-1 against.
- August: 30 Sovs. Sweepstakes, York, Placed 1st, Jockey W. Scott, Odds 5-4 on.
- May: The Constitution Stakes 20 Sovs., York, Placed 2nd, Odds 5-4 on.
- August: The Great Subscription 25 Sovs., York, Placed 3rd, Odds 7-4 against.
- October: The Gold Cup 100 Guineas, Richmond, Placed 2nd.