The Clipper Ship Marlborough off Tynemouth by John Scott - 32 1/2 x 47 1/2 inches Signed and dated 1852 british marine ship portraits
John Scott
(1802 - 1885)

The Clipper Ship Marlborough off Tynemouth

Signed and dated 1852
Oil on canvas
32 1/2 x 47 1/2 inches

The Marlborough, 899 Tons, was built by Pile, Spencer & Co. of West Hartlepool in 1846. Her first owners were Mills Brothers of Stockton, but in 1882 the vessel was sold to H. Folsch of Hamburg and renamed the Iquique. She was lost the following year off Cape Horn.